Friday, January 27, 2012

Foodie Friday: Tortellini with Kielbasa and Veggies

It's Foodie Friday time!! This is pretty much my favorite time of the week. It's a chance to share new recipes, favorite recipes, and get to know some of you, our readers. Thanks so much to you who linked up last week! Keep it coming!!

Right at this moment, I have learned that Great Value brand Vanilla Wafers are not as good as Value Time brand vanilla wafers. I know that seems trivial, but when you like a cookie for its crunch outside and when-dunked-in-milk-softness inside, an impostor is just unacceptable. I'm going to eat them anyway because I bought them, but I wanted to share that information with you.

Enough rambling. Onto the good stuff! On Monday I went to dinner at my good friend's house and she made a delicious dinner of kielbasa, zucchini, and tomatoes over bowtie pasta. I loved it so much that when I saw this recipe recommended by someone on Pinterest, I wanted to try it! Too bad I couldn't find shelled edamame at my grocery store. Improvisation time!! I snagged a bag of frozen veggies, some kielbasa, some tortellini, and made off with my plans for dinner.

Enter: delicious dinner take 2.


You need:
1 pkg kielbasa (I used the 'light' one that is pork/turkey mix)
1lb tri-color cheese tortellini
1 bag frozen veggies (I used the steam in the bag variety that has zucchini, squash, onions, red peppers, green peppers, and corn in it)
Seasonings (Mrs. Dash, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder/Salt, salt, pepper)
Butter (just a few slices)
EVOO



To make:

Put your pot of salted water on to boil. Then,

cut up your kielbasa and put in the pan with a little EVOO to brown. Once browned a bit, pull out of the pan and put into a bowl or on a plate to the side.

Add some butter to the pan and put the veggies in.

Once the veggies are nearly cooked, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder (if you use garlic salt, don't add extra salt), Mrs. Dash, and a little Italian seasoning. When it smells delicious, you have the right combo of things. :)


Then put the kielbasa back in and let it cook together.

While that's simmering, put your crusty bread in the oven to warm and pour some olive oil on a small plate. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder (again, if using garlic salt, don't add extra salt), other seasonings you want. Use for dippy.

When your pasta is cooked, drain it and mix in the deliciousness from your pan. Serve. Eat. NOM.

You can add a little extra EVOO to the pot and mix it around to give it a bit more of a saucy texture.

There you have it! Simple, delicious, and a new staple in my house!


Now you can go ahead and link up what you have been up to in the kitchen. Here is our button :) Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: