Monday, January 16, 2012

Go-Go Monday


I was a busy little bee lately. Got a lot of projects checked off my list, including a new purse for myself! I found a pattern/tutorial online for a bag that I really loved and they used corduroy for it so I decided to splurge (with a 40% off coupon, of course) and get some new materials for a purse for me. Brandi helped me pick it out, of course. :) Below is the outcome. I absolutely love it!!

Next up is a project that has been on my list for a while. I promised my cousin (and another friend - next up is finishing that one) that I'd make him a guitar strap. This project fell by the wayside since I had to find the hardware for it. Turns out it's cheaper to buy a guitar strap online and use the hardware than it is to buy it new. Silly. Turns out, guitar straps make great purse straps (see above)! I hope he likes this! My mom helped me pick out the top fabric and Brandi said 'I want a belt made out of that fabric!' Haha. I used a tshirt for the bottom fabric and topstitched with a green thread that was our mutual grandmother's to add a little extra sentimental value to it.


This weekend was JJ's birthday party!! She had a Cat in the Hat themed party (which she so adorably calls 'Go-Go' because of the song) so I made Brandi and I coffee sleeves that say Thing 1 and Thing 2 on them. Next week I'll give you all a little tutorial on how to make them! I printed right on the fabric from my computer! So cool!! These coffee sleeves were a hit and so was the party. 


As you've seen in previous posts, my friend Angelo's wife died after a long battle with cancer. He's missing her ever so much. Since he carries his camera everywhere he goes, I wanted to make him a cover for his strap but added a little flair by hand-embroidering Jennifer's name on it (with little hearts over the j and i). I used a fat quarter for the top fabric and a tshirt for the bottom fabric. I like how it turned out and I hope he does too.


Last but not least: I made JJ some art for her bedroom for her birthday present. Just because she's 2 doesn't mean she can't start to appreciate art. Plus, the last thing I need to do is give her more toys. I buy her books and toys all the time. I wanted her to have something special to last forever. When she was itty bitty I used to sing these 2 lines from 'Wild World' to her over and over again (mostly because those were the only words I knew at the time) so I took those words and typed them over a favorite photo of mine from Brighton, UK. I printed it out on tissue paper, mod podged it on canvas, and used black paint to 'antique' it.

The other one is a quote from a sweet book 'Guess How Much I Love You' (it's not exactly the quote - the book says 'I love you right up to the moon and back' I omitted the 'right' since the necklace I wear all the time doesn't have the 'right' in it either). I chose a great teal color that Brandi and I are loving right now and a really cool text font that was whimsical and swirly. I did the same technique as the other one for this.

I absolutely LOVE how they turned out. I can't wait to help Brandi hang them in JJ's room. :)

Here are some extra pictures from JJ's party.






We had such a great time celebrating 2 years with one of the most wonderful little girls in the world. I'm so blessed to have her and her entire family in my life. Not only do I have her parents for friends, but her whole family. I'm so happy for the extra opportunity to see my parents, too. It's always nice when you can gather almost everyone you love in one space to celebrate the life of a child. 

Have a great week, everyone!



No comments: