Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Patchy Pouch



This is a birthday present for my sister-in-law. She likes patchwork stuff and I chose fabrics that remind me of her style.



So what do you need? A pile of scrap fabric, and a zipper.


I cut the scraps into  3x3 squares. 24 of them.


I also cut 2 pieces of fabric 3x9. These are for the top band around the bag.


 Now to sew all these little pieces togther. First arrange them on a flat surface so that you can decide which pieces will be next to each other, you don't want the same fabric next to each other.



Put right sides together and sew down one side.


Open it up and it looks like this


Repeat this process until you have 4 in a row


You should end up with 6 rows of four


Decide how you want your rows to line up, there will be 3 rows for each side of the bag.


 Right sides together and sew




After I had both of my side pieces sewn together I did some decorative stitching, random swirls on both pieces of patched fabric. This is totally optional ofcourse.




Now, decide which side of your fabric will go at the top and sew a basting stitch across the top

Pull the back string so that each square along the top is bunched up a bit


You don't want to pull it too much, just until it measures 9 inches long. And do this to both pieces of patched fabric.


With right sides together pin a band piece to the top of each patched piece like this


Sew along the top about 1/4 in seam allowance, you want to make sure  you dont let the basting stitch show on the other side.


It looks like this when opened up




Now lay each piece on top of the fabric you want to use for the lining, cut the lining fabric to match the size


Time to add the zipper, unzip the zipper half way. Layer it like this: patch fabric right side up, zipper facing down and lining down


Sew together.


When you open it up it'll look crazy like this.


Fold the lining piece under


Now to sew the other sides to the zipper, layer it the same way as you did the first time, just on the opposite side.


Open it up and it looks like this.


Now put right sides together, pin and sew all the way around


Except leave a 2 in hole in the lining


Turn it all right sides out


Find the lining hole and sew it shut



Stuff the lining inside and thats it!




I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and expect more patchwork stuff in the future!

Did you see were featured on Reduce, Reuse, and Upcycle  for our Pillowcase Apron tutorial?

You should definitely check out that site if you never have, lots of great stuff over there!



Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle





P.S. I love these slippers Meighen made me! even though I ruined my suprise by checking the blog on my lunch break... oops! Julie had to sneak her little chubby toes into the pic too :)

No comments: